Monday 27 October 2014

Recent Local Quilt Exhibition

We are fortunate to have four quilting guilds within a 45 minute drive in the Wellington District (New Zealand) so we are spoilt when they hold quilt exhibitions as its only a small drive to the event.
These clubs are:

Coastal Quilters Wellington (coastalquilters.org.nz)  This club has a great website with regular postings and as a member you are invited to join their Yahoo group which members can post latest events, sales and other beneficial information.
Pinestream Quilters - based in Upper Hutt.  Details for this club can be accessed through www.upperhuttcommunity.net/quilters/
Capital Quilters Inc - capitalquilters.BlogSpot.co.nz
Wellington Quilters - wellingtonquilters.org.nz
 
 
Wellington Quilters held their exhibition recently and today being NZ Labour day, I finally have a moment to post  you some of my favourites.
 
I like the elegant layout of this hexagon quilt.
Unfortunately I didn't note the quilt name or maker. 




Ancestor by Fyvie Murray
clever quilting

Thread Sketch: Eleanor and Xavier by Fyvie Murray


Kaleb by Helen Beaven.  Painted using procion dyes.
The quilting really enhances the shadowing and colour effects.

At the Seaside by Barbara Craig.
I'm not a fan of row by row quilts however the mix of
tradition and modern forms in this quilt really caught my eye.

175 Across the Lake and 175 Beyond (a) and (b) by Anne-Marie Cunningham.
Some quilts need to be projected to get their full visual effect (using a camera)
These two entries made me feel like I was there - within the scene.

Shot through the Heart by Anne Read.  I like Anne's use of colour
using a Charlette Demesny design

I laughed when I saw this quilt by Catherine Croucher
"Disappointment and the grande dame"
For the 80% of my readers outside of New Zealand, google Anna Prussing quilter images
and you will see some of her stunning work.  The top 1/4 of this quilt has Anna's influence.

Woolly Memory Quilt by Jocelyn Thornton
Very clever idea for recycling knitwear.  Mix of machine and hand quilting.

 
Back to quilting my class sample for "spin those stripes' .  Here's a preview on my design wall.
 

Birthday cupcakes made by my friend Brenda Scully for my birthday this week. 
Very cool and Yummmmm
 
Happy stitching friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to read your comment. Dont' be shy, please write me a few words. Shirls